You know those people that don't tell anyone it's their birthday? I always admire them for their lack of attention-hogging. So every year on my birthday, I think, I'm not going to tell anyone, either. But then I spend the day thinking everyone should just magically know, and being a little grumpy that they don't at least ask. Come on, it's August 11 and you're not even just curious whether it happens to be my birthday?
Anyway, yesterday was great because everyone did magically know. Apparently in Brazil birthdays are very exciting. All the teachers and students hugged me and kissed my cheek and said, "Parabens," and even my students knew. Diane snuck into my classroom and put up balloons and brought me candy, and Rita and the other teachers threw me a whole party, with a cake and guaranĂ¡ and this fantastic cheese bread.
The worst part of the day was when my really sweet roommate bought me a present, which was...earrings. I tried to hide my earlobes and just take them, but she saw my ears weren't pierced and she looked really sad. I felt so bad! I was about to tell her to just poke them through right there at the table, but she took the earrings back and in the afternoon she gave me a shirt instead. Her birthday's coming up...I can't forget it. She's so nice.
3 comments:
Happy birthday, Rachel. I was thinking of you on your bday but didn't know how to contact you. How fun that everyone around you made your day special. You deserve it!
Love,
Auntie Di
I can't wait till I to Rio next year. This is my fist time to your blog and I'm going to read more!
Please do! Thanks Diane!
Post a Comment